Saturday, November 21, 2009

Research #4 Awareness of space

Studying plot takes so much time!!! One of the key elements of plot is a strong sense of surroundings. It's the difference between, "I walked into the kitchen and got a glass of water," and....

"Sliding past the glossy, ebony grand piano, into a well-lit modern kitchen, complete with overhead hanging racks, underlit glass-front cherry cabinets, and brushed nickle-and-black fixtures and appliances, I reached out to what looked like an oversized cabinet door, and pulled on the handle. Suddenly, I was bathed in the cool glow of an open refrigerator. Pleasantly surprised, I chose between several brands of bottled water."

So, the surroundings can drive the story-line just as much as the story helps to discover the surroundings!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Would love to read and respond to your comments, so please post! I blog Monday through Saturday, mostly as a night-owl. Please remember to type the validation word on the screen that pops up after you comment--my professional code of business conduct contract and code of ethics necessitates that I moderate comments on public social media, so there will be a short delay in viewing your comment online.