Hi, I'm participating in Shallee McArthur's "What's your writing process" blogfest! See the links at: http://shalleemcarthur.blogspot.com/2011/01/announcing-whats-your-process-blogfest.html
My writing process has been a long haul, about 2 years now on the first book, and I have another re-write to do. I've learned soo much! I want to share what I did.
1) Have a dream, or idea, for a story. Just a kernel will do.
2) Research how to write a book in your genre. I use a couple of out-of-print guide-books by Foster-Harris.
3) Analyze other "great writers" in your genre. What works/what doesn't. What do you like so much that you want to be sure to include something similar in your books?
4) Write first draft without self-editing, then Read your Book! See my post on How to Start a Story.
5) Revise and send to beta readers.
6) Revise based on beta readers' feedback.
7) Send out a few trial queries. Give it 3 months. (I started ideas for my 'book two' during this time period).
8) Send to another beta reader.
9) Revise again (<--this is where I am now!)
Hope this is helpful to you. Please comment and let me know. (I moderate comments so it may take a day to appear).