Thursday, October 8, 2009

First Post

Writing a book stretches all senses, expands all thoughts, and causes much lost sleep. This is the story behind my story. Because the only writing I do is business-related, I quickly learned that I needed some help. A book titled, "The Basic Formulas of Fiction," written by Foster-Harris in 1944 guides my creative efforts.

Topics include:
1. What a Story Is
2. Viewpoint: Space and Time
3. On Character
4. The Parts and the Process
5. The Finishing Touches

So far, the title revealed itself (secret for now), the main character appeared in a dream in February 2009 along with key items in the plot, and the backstory emerged over the past several months. This week's challenges included the difficult task of character naming. Alas! Characters may take on other names as the story progresses, but at least it is a starting point. Another great challenge is the backstory. What happens before the curtain opens? Time to go find out.....

No comments:

Post a Comment

Would love to read and respond to your comments, so please post! I blog Monday through Saturday, mostly as a night-owl. Please remember to type the validation word on the screen that pops up after you comment--my professional code of business conduct contract and code of ethics necessitates that I moderate comments on public social media, so there will be a short delay in viewing your comment online.