Saturday, February 20, 2010

Two-thirds through the book

Hey, another day to celebrate! Just finished writing chapter 17 and I only have eight more chapters planned. So, doing some quick math, my almost-12,000 words mean that the first draft is two-thirds complete.

Sad, that I'm only at 12,000 words and a I need at least 50,000 words to call it a novel? I'm not. There's still a lot of dialog, flashbacks, and backstory missing. As I re-write, this will be added.

Have you ever noticed how your writing style changes depending on what other books you've read recently? I'm currently reading "Jane Eyre" for about the 4th or 5th time in my life. It's an amazing piece of literature because the descriptions are so vivid and, in places, the narrative actually addresses the reader directly, which is just soo cool!

My batteries are charged, and I'm ready to be in the home-stretch with this book. Still to be written are some discoveries, some sci-fi action-adventure, and of course, a nice resolution or end to my tale. I can't wait to read the rest of my book, and so I hope that when it's finished, many more people feel that way, too!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Would love to read and respond to your comments, so please post! I blog Monday through Saturday, mostly as a night-owl. Please remember to type the validation word on the screen that pops up after you comment--my professional code of business conduct contract and code of ethics necessitates that I moderate comments on public social media, so there will be a short delay in viewing your comment online.