Thursday, September 30, 2010

Back to Where I Began

When I began my writing journey, I had only a story idea and a single reference book, "The Basic Formulas of Fiction," by Foster-Harris.  I also acquired his follow-up book, "The Basic Patterns of Plot."  Both are still available for re-sale at my favorite .com bookstore.

What I truly need to do, is re-read Foster-Harris' books, picking up check-points for editing. 

One question in my mind, though, is does the main character, or a supporting character, always have to be in some sort of personal, physical peril at some point in the story?  I prefer emotional twists and turns to physical peril, myself. 

I'm finding that I have used primarily the subjective view, and worked in the objective view, as needed.  The verbs could probably be scrubbed to add more color, and depending on whether the book ends up MG or YA, I will need to tailor or add additional thematic elements, and another 5,000 to 20,000 words. 

I feel like I'm in a "holding pattern," because I can't proceed past chapter 2 of book 2, until I have a definite answer on the genre. 

At least I can continue my research, so that I'm well-prepared to pick up my iPad and type, when the time comes!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Would love to read and respond to your comments, so please post! I blog Monday through Saturday, mostly as a night-owl. Please remember to type the validation word on the screen that pops up after you comment--my professional code of business conduct contract and code of ethics necessitates that I moderate comments on public social media, so there will be a short delay in viewing your comment online.